Here’s a recipe I threw together in a rush this morning.
After using light rye for a brownie recipe recently, it struck me just how lovely a flavour it added to sweet treats.
After making them, everyone agreed they were my best EVER pancakes, and judging by how many pancakes I’ve made over the years (TONS!) that is a very bold statement.
So definitely worth a share.
Nowhere near as simple and easy on the pennies as the simple banana ones I posted a while back, but I beg you make these! SO good.
Sourdough Blueberry Rye Pancakes
- 1 Cup Sourdough Starter Discard (unfed)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Oat Milk (I’m sure you could sub for any!)
- 3 Tbsp Butter (melted)
- 1tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Light Rye Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Soft Sugar
- Blueberries (I used frozen)
– Put a large, non stick, frying pan on to a low heat to pre-heat while you make the batter.
– Mix together you’re starter, eggs, milk, vanilla and melted butter.
– Mix your Flour, Sugar and Baking powder together separately.
– Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and whisk together really well until smooth and thick.
– If your frying pan is really good non stick, continue on to the next step. If it isn’t, brush your pan with melted butter or oil and then proceed to the next step.
– Scoop the mixture into your frying pan in whatever sizes you fancy. They cook like American pancakes, so small works well.
– Gently push your blueberries into the top of the pancakes once you’ve scooped the mixture into the pan.
– Once bubbles start to appear on the top of your pancake, they’re ready to flip.
Note: Low heat for longer is better than turning the heat up too high! They’re very likely to burn that way!
– Cook for a few mins on the other side and then serve!
We served ours with almond butter, butter and jam! But usually we would have opted for honey or maple syrup too!
These would definitely have worked with bacon and eggs too! SO good!
Let me know if you give them a go!
- THE ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION CHAPTERS
- Privacy & Disclosure Policies
- About US
- Welcome to our World
- Our Links/Codes
- Our Links