During these times of concern about food availability and finances, I wanted to make something that utilised what I had available, and also what is (currently) not too expensive.
I’ve often made sourdough pancakes, but for these I wanted to forego egg, sugars and oils just to keep costs and resources down.
That does mean that these guys are vegan!
They are simple, and go well with maple syrup and fruit for a filling and nutritious breakfast! They passed the kids taste test too haha! Score!
Sourdough Banana Pancakes
Note: The trick to great pancakes is a GOOD non stick pan. That way you don’t need oils and butters for frying. If you don’t have this, just pop a little butter or oil in your pan before frying.
- 1 Cup Sourdough Starter Discard (unfed)
- 2 x Ripe Bananas
- 1 Cup Oat Milk (Any milk is fine!)
- 1 tsp Vanilla (optional)
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Porridge Oats
- Start by putting a large, non stick, frying pan on the lowest heat, allowing it to warm up while you’re making your batter.
- As you discard your unfed starter in a morning (or evening if you fancy an evening snack haha) measure it out into a cup measure.
- Mash your bananas together until they’re a paste.
- Add the discard, mashed banana, oat milk and vanilla (if using) to a mixing jug or bowl, and gently mix until combined.
- Add in the flour and oats, and whisk until it’s all well combined.
- Use a scoop of some sort (I use an icecream scoop or an oat measure I once got from a Flavahans oat tub! Ha!) to scoop your mixture into the pan. I tend to get 4-5 small pancakes in at a time.
- You can turn your pan heat up VERY slightly, but don’t be tempted to turn it up higher. Slow and steady wins the race with thick pancakes!
- You’re going to have to give them a few minutes before flipping, your first ones may take longer while you get the right heat on the pan. Look out for the bubbles on top as a sign they’re ready to flip over.
- Flip, fry for a few minutes on the other side, and then serve with your favourite toppings. (We like maple syrup, almond butter and fruit!)